Tips For Housewives To Prevent & Manage Back Pain
Most often, housewives tend to not take enough care of themselves. Back pain is one common problem a housewife faces. Although the life of a housewife looks easy from the outside, it is just not the case.
The role of a housewife is a very tricky one simply because of the inability to have strict routines to carry out tasks. In prioritizing the other things, the housewife tends to ignore her symptoms of back pain until it becomes unmanageable.
Pain not only has a debilitating effect from a physical aspect but also from an emotional standpoint. The back pain causes bad mood and depression that can have a bad effect on the household and the members of the family.
Causes for Back Pain in Housewives:
- Stress or injury caused to the back muscles, such as back strain or sprain, stress to the back due to obesity, and stress caused due to heavy lifting or pregnancy.
- Extended period of standing also predisposes her to back pain.
- Sedentary lifestyle or lack of adequate balance of rest and exercise.
- Degenerative arthritis caused by wear and tear due to aging or injury.
- Stress and depression also precipitate as severe back painin several women.
Tips To Manage Back Pain:
- Simplify your daily chores:It is really hard to manage a household. Running errands, taking care of kids, finances, and your husband can really overwhelm you. Make sure you simplify your chores and do not aim for perfection. There is nothing wrong in asking for help as well from your close family members or friends in case of severe pain. Also, changing from one task to another before any sort of fatigue sets in is a key to preventing strain and pain from everyday tasks. You can even lie down between chores to prevent or minimize back pain. In case of that being not possible, make sure your posture is not slouched and keep changing postures when carrying out household chores.
- Gentle stretches at the start of the day:Slow, gentle activity first thing in the morning will relieve stiff joints and tired muscles. This can be achieved by doing some gentle stretches and some relaxed breathing.
- Watch your weight:Keep a watch on your weight so that your back is not burdened and exercise and healthy diet is the key for that.
- Exercise:It is very important to exercise in order to maintain flexibility of the spine and also to strengthen the supporting muscles. These help in minimizing/preventing back pains. But the major key is to progress gradually and not overdo. Hence start with low-impact exercises such as walking and aerobics. But since it is a challenge to stick to a routine, you could hire an instructor so that you do not miss on your exercises. Also make sure you are flexible in terms of exercising and ensure you do your exercises whenever possible rather than being strict about your routine.
Lift properly:Being at home and managing the household would involve a lot of lifting, even when doing simple tasks like laundry. Following some tips could protect the back.
- Always make sure you are getting close to the object that you are lifting. Also make sure you do not reach your arms away from the body and ensure that elbows stay as close to the trunk as possible.
- Also keep your knees bent and ensure lifting with your legs and stomach muscles.
- Make sure you do not twist in any way when lifting.
- Adequate Vitamin D3:Women are prone to osteoporosis, especially after menopause. So it is very essential to ensure that Vitamin D3 is adequate to ensure good bone health. The best source of Vitamin D3 is exposure to sunlight. Ensure that you get half an hour of exposure to sun everyday. If your routine prevents you from the same, it is vital to take vitamin D3 supplements in case of lower levels of vitamin D in order to ensure good absorption of the calcium.
- Good night sleep:Sleep is very important because inadequate sleep may make your back pain even worse. Try lying on your side with a small pillow between the knees to keep the spine in a neutral position. Also make sure the mattress that you are sleeping on is comfortable.